Friday March 23rd
7:30 PM – 10:30 PM
Holyrood Episcopal Church – NYC Sanctuary Church
715 W 179th St, New York, NY 10033 Entrance on Ft Washington
RSVP here (appreciated but not required)
Mariame Kaba, Prison Abolitionist, Organizer, Educator, Curator
Pam Africa, Minister of Confrontation, MOVE
Samuel Spital, Legal Defense Fund, Mumia’s attorney
Nyle Fort, Minister, Organizer, Princeton Ph.D. Candidate
Marlene Nava Ramos, scholar activist, Graduate Center, Critical Resistance NYC
Father Barrios, Minister, Holyrood Church
Performances by Mahina Movement.
Translations by Caracol Language Coop.
Drawing on the principles of the Black Radical Tradition and abolition, we hope to build political unity among the oppressed on the basis of shared political and class interests. We seek to:
• Make arguments for the abolition of prisons and borders
• Elucidate the carceral logics as well as political and economic underpinnings of immigration, anti-immigrant sentiment, and anti-Black racism.
• Explore the possibilities for common cause between movements for prison abolition and migrant justice in the face of deportations and detentions
• Draw connections between the criminalization of African Americans and Latin American immigrants and the historical and contemporary roles of these groups as super-exploited sectors of the working class
• Share stories and lessons from current struggles and campaigns
• Offer those gathered concrete ways to become involved immediately
• Imagine what Mumia’s voice, writings, or example of resistance might offer this conversation
6pm Communal Dinner
7:30pm Program Begins
This event forms part of a weekend of planned activities, domestically and around the world, intended to educate the public about Mumia Abu-Jamal and the new developments in his case.
Please join us for a communal discussion to continue our fight.
A Romper Barreras y Carceles Opresoras: Mumia, migrantes, y movimientos para la liberación
Viernes, 23 de marzo
6:00 p.m. Cena comunitaria
7:30 p.m. Comienza el programa
Mariam Kaba, abolicionista de prisión, organizadora, educadora, curadora
Pam Africa, Ministro de Confrontación, MOVE
Nyle Fort, Ministro, Organizador, Princeton PhD Candidato
Samuel Spital, Fondo de Defensa Legal, Abogado de Mumia
Padre Barrios, Ministro, Iglesia de Holyrood
Marlene Nava Ramos, Resistencia Crítica, activista erudita
En la Iglesia Episcopal de Holyrood, Manhattan, Una Iglesia Santuario
Dirección: 715 West 179th Street, Nueva York, NY 10033 (entrada en Ft Washington)
Con la participación de Mahima Movement
THIS EVENT IS FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
THIS EVENT IS CO-SPONSORED BY THE CENTER FOR PLACE, CULTURE AND POLITICS, THE CAMPAIGN TO BRING MUMIA HOME, AND COMMON NOTIONS BOOKS